Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hello 2010

Well, it's a brand new decade and a new opportunity to start something I've been wanting and meaning to do for a long time now-start a blog. As a journalism major and someone who uses writing as an outlet, I feel like I'm a little late on the timing. To be honest, a year ago, I would have told you I hated everything about blogging, about the Internet and this whole new virtual world. I thought it was a waste of time. Now, as I look forward into what the next decade holds, I realize just how important having a life on the Internet really is for socialization and opportunities all around.
Most of my friends have blog about something specific-sports or movies for example. Well, I'm not a huge movie junkie, even though I like watching them, and I'm DEFINITELY not athletically inclined or a real fan of any sports team. What I am interested in though is how people think and why people make the choices they do. Hey, maybe my psychology minor will help me out. Because of this, I want this blog to be about how the world is changing and where it's going. Why are people making the decisions they are today? Why is something happening now going to be impactful later? I want to look at it as a time capsule, per say, so I can read this a year from now and remember that this is what will make the history books. We are living in one of the most tumultous times since the Great Depression. There is the contrasting fact that we are in the worst recession since the 1920s, but at the same time, we are seeing technology come to life that we never though possible. We are governed under the first African American president and are moving slowly toward overcoming racism, yet are fighting a war dealing with cultures that are unable to see beyond the racial differences of one another.
Never did I think I would live in a time that people 100 years from now will look back at and learn so much from. The world is changing in a more rapid pace than maybe is comforting, but it's our responsibility to stop and look around at it once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment