Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Magazine journalism, dead?

While flipping through the latest issue of Glamour last night, I came across an add that caught my attention. It wasn't an ad, but I simple statement from Glamour ensuring readers magazine journalism isn't dying and readers should keep buying their favorite publications. For the first time, my attention was diverted from the articles and colorful photographs to something that made me sit up and think about what I just read. Not just the content, but about how I was reading it. I've always read magazines but I'll admit, I have gone straight to a website to read about the latest gossip or fashion trends more often than I have pay $4.95 for the print version. As a recent college graduate with a degree in journalism, I have been aware of the fact that print journalism is becoming less and less of a novelty. But that simple ad made me really think about how much the industry is changing. I wish I had an answer for what is going to happen to it but I have been trying to answer that question myself now for four years. I will say though, that whatever happens, I have lived at a time and worked in one of the biggest industries that has seen such a great deal of change in such a short amount of time. And it's definitely not just magazines-try newspapers...and now books too. But that's a whole other conversation for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment